ServiceTech - Technology in Service to People

The difference between technology being "in service" vs being a hinderance is often a small amount of missing information.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I'm an entrepreneur and consultant working at the convergence of leadership development, human potential, emergence and technology. I've worked with small startups and Fortune 50 companies on cutting edge projects with people who are passionate about making a difference in their organizations, industries, and communities.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Running Windows XP on a Mac

As a long time technology professional, I've always had the need to test my projects using multiple computing platforms, generally MacOS, Windows and Linux (and now including mobile devices and operating systems). Apple Computer makes my laptop of preference, and the latest version, the Intel-based MacBook Pro, now has the ability to run Windows XP natively.

Why would you want to run Windows on a Mac? In a word, convenience. In my case, I often need to test web applications and connect to corporate VPNs via Windows XP. It's much more convenient if I can do these things from one computer -- I don't have to lug two laptops around or stay put where I have access to a Windows desktop machine.

I'm actually running two copies of Windows XP Pro in two different ways on my MacBook Pro. One was installed using Apple's BootCamp software, and the other using Parallels Workstation. I wanted to compare the two methods before making a final choice.

BootCamp gives me the ability to dual-boot my laptop so it starts up with either MacOS X or Windows XP Pro... but I have to choose at startup time. It works great, and windows is 100% native when I'm using it. No complaints, except the reboot process is a hassle.

The Parallels Workstation solution creates a Virtual Machine inside which I run Windows. So I boot into MacOS X, launch Parallels, and fire up Windows. Windows runs slightly slower inside the virtual machine than it does with the BootCamp solution, but it's not noticeable for my purposes. The convenience of flipping back & forth between Windows and MacOS applications is incredibly compelling... and productive. Makes it easy to justify the expense of a new machine.

An additional and unexpected bonus with the Parallels solution is the ability to Pause the virtual machine at any time. It simply "freezes" windows in place. While paused, Windows does not issue or respond to any requests for network or disk access, which means it's completely secure. Until I wake it up again, that is. If you choose to run Windows on your Mac, be sure to install appropriate anti-virus and malware-detection software. Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

If you don't have an Intel-based Mac (a new iMac, Mac Mini or MacBook Pro), you might be considering Microsoft's VirtualPC as a way to run Windows on your current machine. As a former VPC user, I can tell you that it does indeed work, but it's so slow that it's not practical to use. Save your pennies and invest in a new machine. Apple's entire hardware line will be Intel or AMD-based by the end of this year according to Steve Jobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home